Tuesday 23 October 2012

An issue with me Itchen!

After being invited by the lads to join them on their jolly trip south, to fish both the Stour and the Itchen I jumped at the chance. Normally these trips fall during term time so this was a opportunity that I could not ignore.
The first day to be honest was a bit of a wash out...literally the Stour was on the rise and pushing through at a right old rate of knots and to be honest was boarderline unfishable. We decided after a while to make our way to the Itchen to have a look and do some prospecting. This was again very hard. I managed a small ell from a slack on lob worm but apart from this the day past event less. That was until the final cast of the day !!! On which I managed to snag a chub on Dannys rod with the last run through and the last pouch of maggots.. Though Danny claims it was 2lbs I beg to differ!!!
 
 
The night before the morning after seemed to pass with a blur...and 10 pints of Guinness!!
On arrival to the Itchen I was amazed. Lovely long run with a mix of gravel and weed, making it great for a long trot!



 
I walked to the very top of the beat and started of with a chubber, bulk shot and double red. I did have to move around a little but after a while a seemed to get the knack.....Feed trot,feed trot, change depth, feed, trot, feed trot, etc I started to catch on a regular basis both grayling and trout.
 
 
 
After about an hour I decided to move 100 yards down stream to a long glide, which after feeding a couple of pouches of maggots saw my float drive straight down the hole and my new PB grayling was netted at 1lb 9oz.
 
 
 
 
Though I felt I fished quite well I could not top it, I would like to return to the river again ,,,this time minus the rain and also the booze!

3 comments:

  1. Well done on the pb mate.

    That trout...wow, I want one, that is one incredible looking creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers rob, I can not stop catching trout at the moment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great stretch isn't it! I really enjoyed my day on there back in October last year. I must sort something out for next year and a return trip.

    ReplyDelete